Candles.. Are They Toxic?

I am often asked about candles. Candles can be toxic. Many are made with paraffin wax..which is a petroleum by-product..which then releases carcinogenic soot when burned. Soot can cause respiratory problems and will aggravate the conditions of those who already have asthma, lung, or heart problems. Many are also scented with synthetic oils which can irritate your lungs and could cause other health problems. Some candles have lead in their wicks which can be even more toxic. Exposure to high amounts of lead has been linked to hormone disruption, behavioral problems, learning disabilities, and numerous health problems.

What are the options you ask?

There are soy and beeswax candles and even GMO free ones. Make sure it says 100% because some manufacturers still use paraffin and mix it with beeswax or soy to save money. Stay away from paraffin! Look for ‘scented with natural essential oils’ and ‘lead free wicks’ and ones made with cotton. Click here to view some toxic-free candle options from our Guru Store

The Gurus Amazon Store
We are an Amazon associate and earn a commission from purchases made through our store. Please note we only recommend products that we truly believe are best for you and not influenced by anyone or a company

Join our Facebook Group!

Do you want to be a VIP member of the Green Living Gurus inside circle of up-to-date information? Be a part of the group called Healthy Living and Toxic Free.
Join Now!


Subscribe to our Newsletter to stay up to date on Green Living news and tips

For further info contact:
Therese “Tee” Forton-Barnes


Cell: 716-868-8868

Follow Therese “Tee” Forton-Barnes and
The Green Living Gurus:

%d bloggers like this: