Food of course is important for good health and your surrounding environment is just as crucial. You already know that eating the wrong foods can make you ill, but did you know that a toxic home can too? Our homes can be filled with hundreds of toxic chemicals. These chemicals get trapped in our homes especially in colder weather climates where windows are shut for many months. It has been reported that indoor air is 3-5 times more polluted than outdoor air and there is actually a sickness called “Toxic Home Syndrome” when your home can make you sick. Diseases such as autoimmune disorders, cancer, neurodegenerative disease, reproductive conditions, birth defects and others have been linked to environmental toxins. They can seep into your bloodstream and damage your health.
Be proactive and detox your home!! Below is a list to start in detoxing your home. We have links to all kinds of products that you can buy in our store or go online and search for some yourself. Thankfully, awareness of the chemicals in our environment is growing and the public is demanding changes. The ideas of “nontoxic” and “natural”, are moving to the mainstream. But be VERY careful – these words are also used by companies wanting to fool you so read and know your ingredients!
- Get as much fresh air in your house as possible. Open your windows when you can to get the air moving in your home. Even if it is cold, do it for 10 minutes. This is my favorite time to open up windows and doors!!!
- Get rid of artificial air fresheners that bring toxic chemicals in your home. We list alternatives in our store or use essential oil diffusers like DoTerra.
- Look at your laundry detergent ingredients and think about switching over to a few less toxic laundry detergent. Stop using dryer sheets and purchase wool dryer balls that are a great natural alternative.
- Look at the ingredients on your personal care products and slowly replace one item at a time with more nontoxic options. This can be overwhelming so take it slowly. Take baby steps because it can be overwhelming.
- Make sure you change or clean the filters in your furnace and in your air conditioner. Also, don’t forget to clean the tops of ceiling fans as well. These get covered in dust and you don’t want to circulate this throughout your room.
- Buy organic food as much as possible.
- Avoid processed foods which often contain unhealthy fats, refined oil’s, unhealthy levels of added sugar and sodium, which are sometimes very hard for our body to digest.
- Assess your pans and make sure any nonstick pans are not scratched, which could be leaking chemicals into your food and air . We prefer stainless steel or cast iron pans.
- Avoid chemical fertilizers and pesticides on your lawn’s which could be getting into your house and look for more organic options and alternatives.
- Do not store your food in plastic containers and switch over to glass containers that you can find at target Walmart or anywhere else and in our store of course too!
The Gurus Amazon Store
We are an Amazon associate and earn a commission from purchases made through our store. Please note we only recommend products that we truly believe are best for you and not influenced by anyone or a company