Here are some tips when looking for a hand sanitizer for your family:
- If your hand sanitizer has a fragrance in it, then it’s likely loaded with toxic chemicals. Companies are not required to disclose the ingredients that make up their scents, and therefore generally are made from dozens of chemicals.
- Watch for Phthalates which are endocrine disruptors, can mimic hormones and alter genital development.
- Triclosan was one of 28 ingredients banned in April 2019 in hand sanitizers but does not go into effect until April 2020. Studies have shown it is a hormonal disrupter and can actually harm the immune system.
There are many other ingredients in question that the FDA is looking at and still reviewing many of them. My suggestion is to read your labels!
With all of the news lately regarding viruses and the shortage of hand sanitizers in stores, below is a recipe if you care to make your own for yourself and your children. It is very simple to make in your kitchen.
Also, your kids washing hands with soap and water is in addition to keeping their immune systems happy by eating fruits and vegetables, exercising and limiting their exposure to toxic chemicals. Make sure your children get enough sleep and manage their stress levels. If you or your children have a sensitivity to rubbing alcohol there are also other options that use botanicals and are offered in our store.
Green Living Gurus recipe: Mix all the ingredients together with a whisker until smooth. Put in a glass spray jar. (Very important to use a glass jar as the essential oils could possibly erode a plastic bottle)
- 2/3 rubbing alcohol (60% or higher)
- 1/3 organic 100% aloe vera gel (very important it is the gel)
- 5-10 drops of essential oil of your choice
- I like to use doTerra OnGuard essential oil: wild orange peel, clove bud, cinnamon leaf, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus leaf, and rosemary leaf. It has an energizing and uplifting aroma.
Here is my finished product!
Legal Disclaimer :
Statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your doctor for any health condition you may have.
The Gurus Amazon Store
We are an Amazon associate and earn a commission from purchases made through our store. Please note we only recommend products that we truly believe are best for you and not influenced by anyone or a company