By Samantha Trafford, Community Manager for the Green Living Gurus
Everyone has had that feeling. A warm summer day or even a cold winter evening, hanging with friends and family. Then you smell it and feel the sweat. You shudder, cheeks blush in embarrassment as you fold your arms to hide your own body odor and pit stains. You decide to use a stronger deodorant. You sweat less, you smell fresh, but what chemical is in the magic stick you rub under your arms?
What better time to detoxify your armpits than while you are stuck at home in quarantine?! Yes, that’s right, it’s the best time to make the switch from that harmful chemical filled deodorant to an all natural. It is important to note that everyone’s body is different and won’t always react the same as someone else’s. You will experience a detox period…bring on the sweating. Since your armpits have been clogged from your days of antiperspirants, your body is working to eliminate the chemicals and the aluminum. This detox period typically lasts 2 to 4 weeks. The odor causing bacteria is only temporary, so try to stay with the natural deodorant until your body adjusts.
The harmful chemical in deodorant & antiperspirant: Aluminum, Butane/Isobutane, Diethanolamine, Fragrance, Parabens, Phthalates, Propylene Glycol & Triclosan are common harmful ingredients in deodorants and antiperspirants. Deodorant is a staple in an everyday routine. These dangerous ingredients have caused an increasing concern to individual’s overall health and have been linked to many health issues.
Ingredients linked to health issues below:
- Aluminum: Causes cells to mutate, which increases the risk of a tumor growth
- Butane/Isobutane: Cancer and reproductive toxicity
- Diethanolamine: Cancer
- Fragrance: They commonly contain phthalates, which are chemicals that help the scents last longer. They can pass from the skin and into the blood system. Manufacturers are not required to list their fragrance ingredients on product labels
- Parabens: Breast cancer
- Phthalates: Endocrine disruptor, early onset puberty and breast cancer
- Propylene glycol: Can cause damage to central nervous system and heart
- Triclosan: Endocrine disruptor, breast cancer, thyroid issues, skin irritation & allergies
The Difference between Deodorant and Antiperspirant:
Deodorant covers up odor, while an antiperspirant blocks you from producing both odor and sweat. The reason antiperspirant controls sweat is due to aluminum as the active ingredient. Both these options are linked to breast cancer and other health issues.
Below is a list of recommended natural deodorants used by the Gurus: Click Here for the Store
- Erbaviva: This deodorant line is certified USDA organic, cruelty free, sulfate & paraben free. It’s a simple spray, leaving you with a fresh smell of Jasmine and Grapefruit, Lemon and Sage or Lavender and Germaine. There are no artificial fragrances, no silicones, no petrochemicals and no artificial dyes. Erbaviva’s farm to bottle process uses pure organic essential oils in organic grain alcohol to naturally ward off underarm bacteria and reduce scent. Fun fact: This can use as hand sanitizer as well!
- Waleda: From roll on to spray deodorant, Waleda offers a variety of chemical free deodorants. Using essential oils and alcohol for ingredients, allows your armpits pores to not clog which in turn lets your body detoxify. Welda prides themselves on no animal testing, free from parabens and phthalates and free from synthetic preservatives and fragrances. Their mission, “offers the best solutions to every beauty and wellness need.”
- Native: United States based company using safe, clean and effective products. From a variety of scents, Native offers all natural ingredients made for both men and women. #GONATIVE and avoid both parabens and aluminum. Native also recently came out with plastic free deodorant. Their goal is to go completely plastic free by 2023, stay tuned!
- Underarmed: As seen on the Today Show, Underarmed is a 100% all natural and organic aluminum free deodorant. Made in Nashville, TN, they are known for their active botanical luxury deodorant. This company The essential oils listed in the ingredients that keep you smelling fresh all day long are lavender and eucalyptus, (a pinch of raw organic honey added too). This family business wanted to remove toxins, heavy metals and aluminum out of their home…now they are offering it to your home too!
- Essential Oils Organic: The deodorants made from EO are certified USDA organic, cruelty free, aluminum free, paraben free and made with only organic ingredients only. They make spray, roll on and wipe deodorant with a wide range in essential oil fragrance (which is all natural). EO prides themselves on plant-based body care as the solution, a healthy and natural way to take care of yourself. With all the ingredients up front and listed, you will know what exactly you are putting into your body.
- Tips for when you are smelling while out and about and no deoderant on hand: In a pinch with the heat and humidity? Out and about on the town and you don’t have your natural deodorant on you? A few items found in your purse, in a store nearby or at a restaurant can help solve this issue. Alcohol based hand sanitizer, lemons, limes, saline solution, and coconut oil can help with the smell. Using these tips when you are in a jam will help decrease the odor. The odor is caused by bacteria, not the sweat.
Green Living Gurus Store : Click here We are an Amazon associate and earn a commission from purchases made through our store. Please note we only recommend products that we truly believe are best for you and not influenced by anyone or a company.