By Samantha Trafford, Community Manager for the Green Living Gurus
Organic Tampons: What’s in Them?
Natural and organic…isn’t that what we should be putting inside our bodies? The answer is YES! Organic tampons are 100% certified organic, made of pure cotton free from pesticides, toxin, dyes and fragrance. Also, a fun fact is the applicators have changed as well! The three most common types of applicators for organic tampons are BPA-free plastic, plant-based plastic, non applicator alternatives and 100% biodegradable and compostable cardboard. Remember The Green Living Gurus number one rule of thumb is to always read the labels.
Benefits on Making the Switch to Organic?
There are many harmful ingredients and chemicals in tampons that get absorbed and go directly into the bloodstream. Conventional tampons can also cause inflammation and irritation. The FDA does not regulate the ingredients in conventional tampons which can lead to issues like endocrine disruptors, developmental issues, cancer and increases risk for diseases.
Benefits of Organic Tampons:
- Similar in size
- Cleaner option
- Fragrance free
- Don’t contribute to your hormones being disrupted
- Eco friendly
Conventional Tampon Ingredients: Linked to Health Issues:
Dioxin: Cancer, damage to immune system, reduced fertility, linked to hormone disruptors and increased risk of pelvic inflammatory disease
Formaldehyde: Carcinogen and irritation
Rayon: Increases risk of TSS, cancer, damage to immune system and reduced fertility
Fragrance: Bacterial vaginosis, cancer, yeast infections and allergic reactions
Phthalates: Endocrine disruptors, birth defects, cancer, infertility and autoimmune disorders
Chlorine: Endocrine disruptors
Non-organic cotton: Increase risk of cancer, hormone disruptor and heightens toxicity
Organic Tampons Suggestions:
Let me start off by saying all the suggestions below are truly amazing! They are healthy and clean alternatives that get the job done! These tampons list all the ingredients used and are certified organic. Plus they are environmentally friendly – that’s a bonus! Make sure to check out The Green Living Gurus Amazon store for the products below! See link
- Honest Organic Cotton Tampons: Jessica Alba’s company, filled with tampons and many other organic products. Unscented, GOTS certified organic cotton and enhanced leak protection. Also an added benefit is they are hypoallergenic, breathable and made with a plant-derived compact applicator. This brand is a staple in my cycle – especially for heavier days.
- CORA Organic: Filled with variety – light, regular and super! Perfect for the menstrual cycle. Cora offers tampons with or without applicators. The applicators are made with BPA-free plastic. The tampons are made out of GOTS certified organic cotton and the string is water-resistant wax coating. Fun fact, CORA organic provides pads to females in developing nations, provides education and gives them a stepping stone to build on.
- My Box Shop: Mother nature approved…and created by moms! My Box Shop’s slogan is “Non-toxins, period,” which dives deep into freeing your life from all things toxics. Love this brand! The tampon selection ranges from regular, super and super plus. You can also purchase the tampons with or without applicators (BPA-free plastic). No fragrance, dyes or chlorine bleach and are 100% cotton organic.
- Organyc: Comfort! Comfort! This brand was the first organic tampon line that I ever tried! I absolutely loved them. They are super comfortable and very absorbent. No chemicals, no dyes and 100% certified organic cotton. Organyc is also clinically proven to protect sensitive skin. Organyc tampons are also biodegradable – even the packaging!
The companies listed above offer a variety of safe and pure feminine care products. Not just tampons, but much more. They also offer monthly subscriptions! Check the labels, their ingredients are all listed out for you unlike many non-organic ones. Something tells me, they do not want us to know what is in the other ones.